Monday, January 01, 2007

2007 ahoy

Happy new year everybody!! It's 6:30pm here and it amazes me to think that some of you in the States are just about to reach midnight now! Our celebrations already feel like forever ago.

I'm on holidays for a couple of weeks so have heaps of stuff to blog about. One of my favourite pre-christmas projects was this book I made for Pete's mum, which I can finally put up here now that she's seen it in real life.





The idea for the cover came when I was getting a design printed at imagescience onto canvas. It struck me that the canvas was tough yet flexible enough to use as bookcloth. This method opens up heaps of design possibilities - I'm no longer limited to thoughts of 1 or 2 colour screen prints, I can print anything.




It was also a great opportunity to put one of my patterns to good use. Pattern designs look so much better and more profesh when shown in a proper context :)



So yeah, that was fun to work on. And she really liked it, which is the best part of all :)

9 comments:

leslie said...

that is BEAUTIFUL. what a stunning gift, great idea. happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Love it. Personalised gifts are such a good idea in themselves, let alone a handmade personalised gift :) You should have these `made to order' on your website...I'd buy one! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful book, I love your patterns. Did you bind it too? It's so professional! Happy New Year to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

It's just beautiful. So glad she loved it!

nicole lecht said...

lara it's beautiful! very nicely done...for a possibly less expensive idea for your patterns could be using a printable book cloth. i haven't trid it just yet but you can buy some at the paper source site. i believe it's for an inkjet printer.

Unknown said...

The book looks great, and isn't it nice when you can finally blog about the presents you made without fear the people will see them.

Lara said...

thanks girls!! i'd love to be able to make more of them, but the binding process is so time consuming (for me at least) it wouldn't be worth trying to sell them methinks...

Anonymous said...

beautiful. your prints are timeless

hmc said...

Wow! Lovely ;o)

I had bound a photo album / brag book using canvas, but I hand painted it. It is just as robust as buckram which typically used. But as you've found out - canvas gives you endless opportunities!

PS: love the 'mushroom' spine shape, I've never tried it myself - seems too hard! I've done 'perfect binding' which is the square edge spine.